Thursday, November 12, 2009

Jeff King... No Excuses




Originally appeared at www.undergroundstrengthcoach.com on November 26, 2006


Inspiration


We're all human, and sometimes we lose that motivation, even if it's just a little loss, we can always use some motivation.

Then, someone like Jeff King sends over an e mail and it sends a bolt of lighting through my veins.

Read below to see who Jeff King is, and what this Gladiator is all about!

I was born in 1973 with mild cerebral palsy. Compared to others affected by wheelchair confinement, I have only slight hip unevenness and a lesser sense of hand-eye coordination.

In high school, I began lifting weights at a local gym. I started out as a typical 98-pound weakling, but after a while I grew confident enough to wrestle and arm wrestle. In college, I discovered an official arm-wrestling tournament at a sports bar and won my first match. I soon joined a competitive circuit, and in 1996 I won the Ontario (Canada) Provincials at 180 pounds. In 1998, I placed third at the Canadian Championships--all this against "normal," able-bodied opponents.

Jeff's Message: Today, after a few brief comebacks and retirements, I coach arm wrestlers out of my home, and they've encouraged me to return to full-time competition. The most notable and recent win of my 11-year career was in the 198-pound left-hand class at the biggest pro tournament in Canada on March 27. (I can only arm wrestle left-handed because of my cerebral palsy.)

At the time of this writing, I am undefeated in 2004. I'm also finishing up my personal-trainer certification and will be testing for my black belt in the art of aikido after nine years of study.

Yes, times are tough, but, if you're half as tough as Jeff King, you'll kick those "times" in the ass!

BIG Thanks to Jeff King for the motivation and inspiration!

Jeff will be guest speaker / coach on November 20th at Everest College for a presentation on working with athletes / clients with disabilities, training modifications and also an introduction to the odd lifts.

I am also looking forward to working with Jeff more in the future when his new home gym opens up in the new year in Hamilton.

No comments: